Sunday, October 12, 2014

A local mother’s journey through breast cancer


Today we are featuring a strong, local, parent whose life was forever changed following her breast cancer diagnosis. In 2012, Judy was diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma in Situ [DCIS]. What does this mean? Well, it is a type of breast cancer where there is presence of abnormal cells inside a milk duct in the breast. Below Judy discussed her journey through breast Cancer.
What was your treatment plan following your diagnosis?
I had the cancer removed, I then had expanders put in place, three months later, I had Diep Flap reconstruction surgery performed.
What is the most helpful thing during your journey?
The most helpful thing during my journey through cancer was when I had first met with my doctor and she turned to me and said that I had nothing to worry about because everything was going to be ok. The love, support, and prayers from family and friends also made this journey easier to get through.
What were some tricks following your surgery?
After one of my first surgeries, the hospital provided heart shaped pillows that Breast Cancer patients use under their armpits to provide comfort during the healing process.
What would your advice be to someone who has recently been diagnosed?
I would say to keep calm and keep a very positive attitude, because it makes the whole process easier.
I had six surgeries for reconstruction, and to get through this process it was all about patience and be positive because at some point I knew that it was going to come to an end and everything would turn out wonderful.


We would like to take a moment to thank Judy for sharing her story with us, and we wish all the strength and love to cancer patients everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment