Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Not walking alone...

It is important to take time this month to realize we do not walk alone. Being a childhood cancer patient is hard work, and it can feel like we walk alone. Once you start treatment because it is only you getting treatment, only you are feeling the side effects psychically, and to top it all off you are isolated from your peers and friends much of the time. This all adds up feeling very lonley.

Septmber is Childhood Cancer Month, it is important to take some time out and realize we do not walk this path alone, not only can you look to the room next to yours to find someone going through the same thing, but I think to think about it like this. I think about how many hours and man power it took to make the drugs/medicine they are pumping into my body to cure me, I think about how how many people and hours it took for my nurses to become the amazing nurses they were, and I think about the thousands of hours my Doctor spent to learn the knowledge to cure me. If all this wasn't enough after my 6 months of cancer treatment I realized, it may be hard for your friends to be there for you because of germs and so on, but if you need them, and you let them, they will also help you.

Emotional Support is one of the most important needs a child will ever have during their treatment and beyond, in some cases you need extra help, however if you can, look around you to see what is there already, it can help too.

Spencer Harrison

Founder, Teen with a Dream


No comments:

Post a Comment