Thursday, October 8, 2015

Program Resource: The Blanket Fairy


For today's program resource Thursday we would like to share with you a wonderful resource that is spreading awareness of pediatric cancer and whose mission is to:

"The Blanket Fairy's Mission is to make and donate as many blankets as she can to children with pediatric cancer. The Blanket Fairy follows many blogs & websites and when she sees a child that needs a lift in spirits while going thru treatment she will contact their parents to have their child go into her Sprinkle Dust Treasure Chest to pick out a blanket or any other item that may be available in there."


Lets take a look at where the inspiration for The Blanket Fairy all began....

have had several people ask me why I started this. January 2010 my husband had just left the kids and I in Arizona so he could start a new job in Missouri. We had a bad year in 2009. The economy in Arizona was crazy. He could not find anything in AZ that was just enough for us to survive. So we sacrificed. We could not afford to all go at the same time.

The day that he rolled out of our driveway it tore me to pieces. I was now a single parent and we would not see him until the very end of May. It broke my heart that my kids would ask when is daddy coming home. Mady was 1 at the time and Zach was 5. I thought my life was just so terrible and I had a hard time sleeping missing my husband, taking care of the kids 24/7 by myself, putting the house on the market, packing up the house getting ready for the big move, going thru an unexpected surgery while trying to pack the house being told not to lift anything more than 5 pounds, etc.

My Inspiration - Layla Grace Marsh

Picture
It was about a week after he left on one of my sleepless nights. I saw a prayer request for Layla Grace Marsh on twitter. I was curious so I clicked on the link and read the current journal entry. Layla had just relapsed with Neuroblastoma. Curious on what this was I went back to the first page of their journal and I stayed up all night and read the whole journal. My heart was broken to think of the pain that these innocent children go through. Not just that but what the whole family goes thru. 

Parents are seperated to long periods of time in between hospital stays, siblings don't see their mommy or daddy for long periods of time during treatments and I realized that cancer affects the whole entire family. 
I thought to myself what can I do. For 5 years I had been making baby blankets and selling them online.  I remember seeing alot of Layla's pictures and she had a blanket with her in several of those pictures. 
Take an in-depth look at The Blanket Fairy and their astounding cause here

No comments:

Post a Comment